Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Linux Desktops

As, a longtime IT profissional I have been using and supporting computers for over 10 years. Below are some thoughts
On desktops and Linux. Now, I know everyone jumps on this bandwagon and spews out all sorts of junk.
this is not an atemp to do anything other then place a few thoughts down.

1:) Is Linux ready for the desktop/laptop?
well, this greatly depends on your needs. I have been using it for many years so i am not your typical user. I am an admin/programmer. but, my kids use it fine :)

I think the main thing, people need to keep in mind is. there is more then one "Linux Desktop". there are desktop
enviroments like Gnome and KDE, and more lightwieght ones like blackbox,FVWM and IceWM. all have there good points.

the thing is for software: which apps do you use and are they available for Linux? or are there Linux replacements?

2:)Is it more secure?
the zelots would always say yes to this, but I'll say. it can be, by a far margian. but it depends on how it is setup and weather it is pacthed.

more:  /dev/random

I think for kiosks types of uses and custamer service and other cookie cutter basic user Linux is ready by far today and would
help IT support staff support them by far. but for power users who use all sorts of windows apps and god knows what else
would be far more difficult to replace. not impossible but would take time to map out al the apps and there replacements


the other thing is for activeX based web services, internal pages based on this should be reworked to be standard based.

Email, IM  are all available as are web,mainframe etc.



-Nex6

No comments:

View blog authority